28 January 2008

U.S. space junk and other goodies

So, as promised, this will be a mishmash of 'junk' because life has been a little weird lately. I've been working a lot of awkward hours, including 5 a.m. starts and 9 p.m. ends, which has left me perpetually exhausted, confused and convinced I'm either late or supposed to be somewhere else. It's enough to make anyone a little crazy, and with a few other things keeping me busy, life lately has been a bit of a whirl -- but luckily it's not all bad. So, to keep you entertained and informed, here are some point form updates:

- I finally caved and bought glasses. And they're pink! Well, not entirely pink, they're brown with pink accents, but still -- PINK! The situation was getting too bad, I've been getting headaches from straining to see with my contacts (I purchased a batch a year and a half ago and I was trying to use them all up, unfortunately, my prescription has changed) and from wearing them way too long because all the tape in the world couldn't keep my old ones straight on my face. And, I think I've finally come to accept that a CBC job isn't forthcoming. I'd love it to be, but my life must go on. And any new job I take will have a three month probation period before proper health insurance, and I'm not waiting until April to see properly. So, I walked into the mall, the optometrist happened to have an opening, my lenses were in stock and I walked out with glasses an hour and a half later. I even got a deal, and James' insurance will help me out a bit with them.

- James bought rock band. I've been cultivating my rock star persona in my time off, to the point that guitarist Jen is way better dressed and much cooler than real Jen.

- We went to look at wedding invitations this weekend. There are a lot of options. And most of them are either a) flowery b) expensive c) unnecessarily complicated or d) all of the above. But, after a few fun hours, we narrowed it down to two very simple options that sort of call to our journalism nerd backgrounds and desire for cheap simplicity. I have until Saturday to decide.

- I've decided possums are cute. Case in point

- I worked the health section today, which is always fun. A highlight is pollution and heart health

- And, as for the promised space junk story, I encountered it while doing the Newsworld news ticker at 5 a.m. yesterday morning and decided it was arguably the coolest thing I read all morning. Though, admittedly, by that point I had not read very much. Either way, a U.S. spy satellite has lost power and will crash to Earth sometime in late February/early March. Government officials have no control over it, no idea where it will land and say it might contain hazardous materials. Crazy. What do you think the odds are that it will hit Canada?

Anyway, with my current crazy person schedule, it feels like bedtime. Let's hope my sleep cycles and meal times sort themselves back into normalcy soon.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

My sister and I are planning festivities for our parents' 25th anniversary in July.

We're making the invitations with iPhoto. The templates are amazingly professional-looking.