18 December 2007

Three sleeps away and I'm starting to smell that salt water...

I'm heading home on Friday and it's getting so close that I can practically taste the salt water (and the Christmas cookies, garlic fingers, Lunenburg pudding, etc...).

Central Canada is nice, with its cold that cuts through you rather than seeps into your bones, the regular sunshine, the smooth, straight roads, but it's been too long since I've been home. And, the fact that it's Christmas makes it all the better!

It's going to be a very short visit -- only till boxing day -- followed by a quick stop in Belleville with James' family and then I'll return to reality. But, for the next two weeks-ish, starting today, life will be a flurry of holiday preparations, packing and travelling, and I can't wait!

The news has been getting me down lately -- with seven-year-olds crushed in snow tunnels, old men killed while delivering Christmas cards, bombings, thefts, and so on -- and I think this holiday is exactly what I need to regain some optimism. That, or start my own "good news" site, about cars driving safely, children going on rollercoasters without having their feet chopped off, trick-or-treaters getting great, safe candy, tourists visiting Mexican resorts and having a great time, and of course, how cute kittens, bunnies, puppies and such are (though, someone already beat me to that one). I know there's good news out there, it's just hard to find.

So, to start off these holidays right, I'm going to share some good, festive news before signing off. NORAD's Santa Tracker is up, and ready for action. European scientists estimate that it takes Santa 34 miliseconds to go to a house, drop off presents and take off again. And, the UN says the "elves" who help Santa respond to his over 6 million letters are working hard to make sure all the good girls and toys can pass on their wishes for toys.

So, with happy thoughts, I'm off to pack.

1 comment:

JD said...

how can the UN comment on Santa? isn't that a little christian centric?

either way it's weird. glad you're back in the big smoke, even if we don't have dressing or lunenburg sausage:).