31 July 2007

Almost two months in the city...

And I still don't feel settled. But, I did spend an hour writing about bread that won't go moldy.

I've spent the last two days working out of P.E.I. It was fun, but I also still feel a little awkward at work. I come in to do so many different things, at so many different times, with no regularity, that I don't feel settled. Also, because I'm new and young, I feel incredibly bad any time I screw up, for example when the copy editors call me over with a question or I don't know how to do something or I have a typo or a mistake in my story. It feels like one of the above happens every day, and I have no idea if I'm ever doing an ok job.

But, I know I'm doing ok at something else--my new project. I'm "freelancing" (I use the term loosely because it doesn't pay)for Filly, an online magazine about wedding stuff. So, I'll be filing a blog for them each week based on some wedding topic and be writing articles about wedding planning. I also get to review some wedding related books and the like, so it should be fun. Plus, I get to work towards my own wedding plans in the process.

I've also applied for an internship with the Toronto Star. I have no idea if it will come to anything, but it's a full-year, full-time position and would be a great experience, along with steady work and steady pay. I find out next week if I make it to the interview round, so I'm checking my email like mad, in case it comes in early, but also not trying to check my email because I know it will drive me nuts. It's an interesting paradox.

Luckily now I'm off the night shift, so I have a bit more time to have a life and get errands done.

My tasks for the next week or two?
1. Find an apartment for September
2. Find a wedding venue for July/August next year
3. Clean up the apartment, which has been sorely neglected the last two weeks
4. File my first story or two for Filly

Along with working at the CBC. Eep. Wish me luck:)

No comments: