05 June 2007

First day down...

I am now a card-carrying Torontonian. Meaning I am now the proud owner of a shiny purple bus pass.

On Monday, I used said bus pass to get to the CBC. I was really really nervous, so I left myself quite a bit of time to get to work. Enough time that I arrived 45 minutes before I needed to. Who would have thought the bus and the subway would both arrive just as I stood at the bus stop and entered the station? I'm normally lucky enough to see the bus drive away as I frantically run around the corner, but not Monday. On Monday morning, the public transit gods were smiling on me, even in the rain.

So, after 45 minutes of trying to occupy myself without straying too far from the building, I finally started off work. It was a pretty full day of training on the content management system and how to maintain the Your View page--reading comments and choosing which ones go up and making up and posting new questions.

There are a lot of comments. Some of them are witty, insightful, inspiring, and intelligent. Others are illegible, liable, and stunned. Many tread the fine line between these two, and it is certainly a trick to choose which are publishable. Hopefully I do alright when the ball's in my court on Friday.

So, after a great shift at the CBC of reading about people's hatred of the military and a few choice words about taxis and seatbelts (the questions were about a year recognizing military families as proposed by Gen. Hillier and whether cops should chase cars downtown after a serious and fatal accident over the weekend) I was ready to head home.

Despite a lack of an ID or passwords (apparently there was some mix up over my information from November when I interned, which has expired, and the fact that I'm back now), I was feeling pretty on top of it all. So, when I arrived at my subway station, I walked on to the bus and was ready to be home. Then the bus turned the wrong direction. I got on the northbound instead of the south. So, after a minor detour, I crossed the street and headed in the right direction.

Fully exhausted, I arrived home. I didn't work on Tuesday, due to the missing passwords and id, but was scheduled for Wednesday when those technical difficulties would be resolved. I fully intended to go to sleep early. Then Nomi, the person I'm staying with, suggested a free concert downtown, which started at eight. We got there a little after nine, and enjoyed two songs by The Stills and a full hour and a half of Hawksley Workman, and got to meet up with friends of hers from Belleville, and one of my friends from home.

So much for my early night. But Hawksley was worth it.

Today, I went apartment hunting in the Danforth area. No luck yet, but a few promising items.

Tomorrow, I'm in for my first real shift on the newsdesk, getting trained to write stories and post them. Should be another busy day.

In good news, my fiance James got a job in Scarborough, starting Monday.

Now off to finish up a batch of cinnamon buns from a can and to get my things together for an early start tomorrow.

This week's Toronto tally so far:
Times fully lost: 0
Times thought maybe lost: 3 (Looking at apartments in places I've never been!)
Toronto sites scratched off must do list: 2 (Danforth and Harbourfront Centre)

No comments: